If something is good don’t mess with it right? That’s what I thought about Greek olives. That is until I was dining at a local Spanish tapas bar a block from my flat. I ordered a beautiful risotto and as we were waiting the server brought out a plate of bread and olives. Normative behaviour. As I was talking to my wife I popped an olive into my mouth. I was taken aback. Instantly I stopped what I was saying and said, “You’ve got to try the olives!” Sweet, tangy and delicious. Over the next few weeks of trial and error and eating a lot of olives, I have created a reasonable facsimile that I would love to pass on to you.
What you need:
- 500g of mixed olives ( I use a mix of 50% of Kalamata 50% green)
- 3 tbsp honey
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp pickled capers
- 2 tsp of brine from capers
- 1 tsp of coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon of fresh oregano (remove the stems)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sealable plastic container for marinating and storage
How it’s done:
- Mix together all your ingredients in your container. Adjust levels of oil and salt to your taste.
- Put on the lid and let stand on your counter for 24 hours before partaking.