So now you have this bubbling rotting garlic cabbage in your fridge, what do you do with it? That was the question that had been on my mind all week. Realizing that kimchi is eaten with just about everything I decided that even I could not screw this one up. So armed with some leftover jasmine rice I thought I would create some fried rice balls….I am not sure if this is even authentic but who cares, they were simply tasty and left me wishing I had more leftover rice!
What you need:
- Kimchi from previous post
- A bowlful of leftover sticky rice (long grain will not work)
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- 1sweet red pepper finely chopped
- Enough oil for deep frying
How it’s done:
- Fry the onion, pepper, and 2-3 tbsp of the kimchi in a little oil.
- When the onion begins to sweat, add the rice.
- Continue to fry until the flavours have melded. (about 3-5min)
- Set aside to cool.
- When the rice mixture has cooled, form into golf ball sized pieces.
- Heat your frying oil (1-2″) and cook each of the rice balls until golden.
- Place on some paper towel to remove any excess fat.
- Serve hot with a healthy garnish of kimchi.
I really enjoyed eating these little guys….so much so that I think my keyboard has a permanent kimchi aroma…Enjoy!