Greeks eat seasonally, many may be surprised to see a glorified coleslaw listed as a “Greek salad” The reality is this is the salad locals eat all winter when the tomatoes and cucumbers are at a premium. It is essentially a cabbage and carrot salad with an oil and vinegar dressing. It is so easy to make and tastes great!
Preparation time: 10 min.
- 1/2 Small green cabbage: Rough chop into 1/4 inch slivers
- 2 Large carrots: Grated
- 1/2 Small red onion (optional): Rough chop the amount of onion to your taste. I use 1/4 to 1/2 of an onion
- Lemon juice: Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Wine vinegar: 1-4 tbsp to taste
- Olive oil: A generous portion to coat the whole salad (1/4 cup)
- Lemon zest: Zest of 1/2 a lemon to taste
- Parsley: Garnish
Rough chop the cabbage and onion. Combine in a serving bowl with grated carrot, olive oil, wine vinegar and lemon juice. Mix well, garnish with parsley and lemon zest. Season with salt and pepper and serve.