Ok I made it… Today I celebrated the change of seasons with a Greek national icon. The Frappe (as pictured above.) It was as if I woke up today and the world had changed. Instead of the gloomy, dreary, dull, rainy zombie-like existence I had been living for the past 3 months, today there was sun and the temperature peaked around 23C. Today I felt alive. So instead of the usual espresso, I ordered a frappe. Now for those of you not familiar with this addicting concoction, it is essentially 10 cents of instant Nescafe coffee blended with water and sugar until thick and foamy (almost like whipped cream, only stickier) served over ice with a little milk and it costs a paltry 3.50 euros…Yep you read that correctly. So if you want as authentic a Greek experience as can possibly be found, run to your local Greek grocer and get a can of nescafe and make your own piece of sunshine!
What you need:
- 2 tsp instant nescafe frappe coffee
- 2 tsp sugar (optional)
- Water as needed
- 2-3 ice cubes
- Tall glass
- Milk to taste (optional)
How it’s done:
- Place the coffee, sugar and about a 1/4 cup of water in your glass.
- Blend with a hand blender (or drink mixer) until it quadruples in volume and becomes thick and creamy.
- Add ice and top up with a little water.
- Pour in milk and serve with a straw and a glass of water.
All that you need to do now is kick back and enjoy the sun with a few good friends.